The City of Austin announced that it is expected to commit the remaining $12.9 million of Relief of Emergency Needs for Tenants (RENT) Assistance program funding with the next round of randomly selected applicants. The deadline for income-eligible Austin renters who have experienced a COVID-19-related income loss to submit applications is Tuesday, December 8, 2020 at 11:59 AM with the random selection taking place shortly thereafter.
“The RENT program has helped thousands of local families to avoid eviction for non-payment of rent, allowing them to stay in their homes where they can be safe during the pandemic,” said Michael Gerber, HACA President and CEO. “We strongly encourage any low-income Austin renters who need rental assistance or are at risk of eviction to apply for this program by Tuesday, December 8th at noon.”
Since August, the City’s Housing and Planning Department (HPD) and the Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) have partnered to disburse over $10.1 million in rent assistance. These funds have helped over 3,000 Austin families (approx. 6,000 family members) avoid eviction and stay safe in their homes. This significant milestone signals expending the last of the $12.9 million available program funds before the end of December 2020.
Applicants are encouraged to apply for assistance before the last random selection of applications scheduled on Tuesday, December 8 at 11:59 AM. Assistance for applying is available. Those who apply by 11:59 AM will be considered in the random selection soon thereafter.
RENT Assistance Program Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must live within Austin’s full purpose jurisdiction;
- Applicant household gross annual income must be 80 percent or less of the Median Family Income (See income chart below);
- Applicants must be currently on a lease or in a contractually bound rental relationship;
- Applicants must not be already receiving federal rental assistance;
- Applicants must not be a full-time student whose rent is paid by someone else; and,
- Applicants must provide documentation showing that you have experienced a COVID-19-related income loss (e.g. paystubs, unemployment notice, etc.).
To apply, visit the RENT Application Portal. Applicants should submit applications before noon on Tuesday, December 8, 2020.
For additional information, including instructions, a how-to video, frequently asked questions, and application assistance, visit www.AustinTexas.gov/RENT, email AustinRENT@cvrassociates.com or call the RENT Call Center at 512-488-1397 between 8 AM and 6 PM Central-Standard Time, Monday through Friday. Individuals needing hearing or speech accessibility using TDD or TYY technology may call Texas Relay Services by dialing 7-1-1 for assistance.